In celebration of the much anticipated release of The Paleo Kitchen, we’re giving away THREE seats to a private Breakfast on the Farm event with one of the authors — George Bryant, the Civilized Caveman himself!
Every time a new paleo/primal/real food book comes out, it’s exciting. But the Primal Pastures family is extra excited about The Paleo Kitchen by George Bryant (Civilized Caveman) and Juli Bauer (PaleOMG). We were lucky enough to get our hands on a copy just a few days ago (The Paleo Kitchen won’t be available for purchase until June 10), and let me tell you — this thing is incredible! Farmer Paul’s wife Lynsey has been going nuts with it, trying multiple recipes a day — all of which have completely WOW’d us all.
In addition to co-authoring The Paleo Kitchen, George is also the man behind Civilized Caveman Cooking, a wildly popular paleo food blog that has been featured in The Huffington Post, Fox News, Paleo Magazine, and more. George is also a good friend of ours and has been incredibly supportive of Primal Pastures since the beginning. Anyone who has visited his website or follows him on instagram and/or facebook also knows that he’s an all around fun-loving guy with a killer sense of humor and an incredibly positive outlook on life!
But don’t take our word for it!
Enter the #breakfastwithgeorge giveaway to win what will undoubtedly be the most fun breakfast of your life! And in addition to chatting it up with Civilized Caveman, you’ll also be treated to a delicious and wholesome breakfast prepared by our very own Chef Jamie (the mastermind behind our Breakfast on the Farm events)…all while watching Primal Pastures animals graze and enjoy their natural habitat!
How to Win Breakfast on the Farm with George Bryant (AKA Civilized Caveman)
- STEP #1: Sign up for the From the Pasture mailing list (if you’re already receiving From the Pasture newsletters, skip this step)!
- STEP #2: Leave a comment on this post explaining why you want to have #breakfastwithgeorge.
- STEP #3: If you’re on instagram, like the #breakfastwithgeorge post and tag 3 friends for an extra entry!
Boom. That’s it. Super easy!
FINE PRINT: Contest ends at midnight on 6/09. THREE winners will be announced on 6/10, the day The Paleo Kitchen will be released to the public. Date of the breakfast will be decided based on the availability of George and the winners.
Here’s one of the many mouth-watering recipes in The Paleo Kitchen – enjoy!
- ½ pound (225 grams) bacon
- 3 to 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes (1¼ pounds/560 grams)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 head cauliflower (1½ pounds/750 grams), chopped into florets
- ¼ cup (60 mL) coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds (910 grams) ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces (225 grams) button mushrooms, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- coconut oil, for greasing the baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9-by-13-inch (23-by-33-cm) baking dish.
- Place the bacon on a rimmed baking sheet, place in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until cooked through. Roughly chop the bacon. Set aside.
- Turn up the oven to 400°F (205°C). Poke holes in sweet potato with a fork. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft and easily pieced through with a knife. The time may range depending on the thickness of the sweet potatoes.
- While the potatoes are baking, steam the cauliflower. Once cauliflower is fork tender, place it in a food processor or blender and puree until cauliflower becomes soft and resembles mashed potatoes. Then add the coconut milk and salt and pepper and continue to blend until you have a smooth consistency. Remove from the blender and set aside. Clean out the blender for the sweet potato mash.
- When sweet potatoes are soft, remove their skins and place in the food processor or blender. Blend until the sweet potato breaks down, then add the coconut milk, sage, and salt and pepper and puree until smooth. Set aside for later.
- Lastly, place a large pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and break it apart with a wooden spoon. Once the meat begins to brown, add the garlic, yellow onion and button mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and continue to cook until the meat is cooked through, then remove the pan from heat.
- Create the layers: Use a slotted spoon to remove half of the meat mixture from the excess liquid in the pan and place in the prepared baking dish in one layer. Then pour the cauliflower mash mixture on top of the meat and spread out. Then, using the slotted spoon, add the other half of the meat on top of the cauliflower mash. Lastly, pour the sweet potato mash on top and spread it out on top of the meat.
- Turn oven down to 350°F (175°C) degrees. Place the casserole in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the casserole begins to bubble. Then turn on the broiler to high and cook for 5 minutes to brown the top of the casserole. Let rest to thicken and garnish with the bacon before serving.
Don’t forget to leave a comment telling us why you want to have #breakfastwithgeorge!!